The St. Louis Regional Early Childhood Council (RECC) works to build a coordinated system promoting educational readiness and healthy development of young children ages 0-8 in the St. Louis region, especially those in socioeconomically disadvantaged areas. The RECC brings together over 200 child-serving organizations, funders and businesses.
The primary goals of the RECC are:
- Develop the necessary infrastructure so RECC can build, facilitate and sustain coordinated early childhood systems in the St. Louis region.
- Enhance the quality of care provided by those addressing the health and developmental needs of young children, including parents, caregivers, individual providers and programs.
- Create a regional data collection system that informs development of a comprehensive coordinated system of early childhood development in the St. Louis region and aligns with data required by key state partners.
- Ensure that early childhood policy issues are recognized on local and state levels as critical to the well-being of individual
- children and the broader community.
RECC Testifies in Jefferson City in Support of Pre-K Contracting Legislation
Katie Rahn, RECC Public Awareness & Advocacy Committee chair, and RECC member Keri Young of Youth In Need traveled to Jefferson City on Feb. 28 and March 6 to testify before House and Senate committees in support of Pre-K contracting legislation. Read more
The RECC has five working program committees: Data Systems, Public Awareness & Advocacy, Early Childhood Care & Education, Early Childhood Health and Mental Health, and Community Resources & Family Engagement. Committee meeting dates:
|Community Resources & Family Engagement||Third Tuesday, 1:00-2:30 p.m., Vision for Children at Risk|
|Data||Third Friday, 8:30-10:00 a.m., CIC, 4240 Duncan Ave., 63110|
|Early Care & Education||Third Monday, 2:30-4:00 p.m., locations vary|
|Health & Mental Health||Fourth Thursday, 11:00 a.m. -12:30 p.m., Nurses for Newborns, 7259 Lansdowne, 63119|
|Public Awareness & Advocacy||Second Thursday, 2:30 to 4:00 p.m., South Side Early Childhood Center, 2101 S. Jefferson Ave., 63104|
New members are welcome. Call 314-534-6015 or contact the committee chair to confirm current meetings and locations. See list of committee chairs and contact information.
Thank you for attending the Aug. 23 forum in “The Raising of America” series, “Building a Comprehensive Early Childhood System.”
Read a summary of the forum
Links to reports referenced in her presentation:
How did children and their families fare in the 2016 Missouri legislative session?
Thank you for attending the 2016 Legislative Wrap-Up on Wednesday, June 8, 2016. See a summary of the forum.
Recent Media Coverage
“Show that the well-being of young children matters”
Commentary by RECC Co-Chairs Anne Kessen Lowell and Dawn Winkler
St. Louis Post-Dispatch, May 18, 2016
St. Louis Post-Dispatch Special Report
“The Crisis Within: How Toxic Stress and Trauma Endanger Our Children”
February 21, 2016
St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Nov. 17, 2015
St. Louis Public Radio “St. Louis on the Air,” Nov. 16, 2015
Read the RECC brochure
For more information on the Regional Early Childhood Council and how to get involved, contact Rich Patton, VCR executive director, at 314-534-6015 or email@example.com.