Speakers provided much information about actions of the 2018 Missouri Legislature impacting children and families at the annual Legislative Wrap-Up on May 24.
On the panel were:
- Brian Colby, Missouri Budget Project See his presentation
- Jessica Seitz, Missouri KidsFirst See her presentation
- Brian Schmidt and Linda Rallo, Kids Win Missouri See their presentation
Major legislative highlights include:
- Raising the age of juvenile jurisdiction to include 17-year-olds
- Extending postpartum Medicaid coverage for mothers with a substance abuse disorder
- Extending the early childhood quality assurance pilot and providing funding
- Requiring comprehensive background checks for early childhood providers
In the budget:
- The school foundation formula was fully funded, which triggers implementation of the pre-K funding provision passed several years ago. State funding to public schools was increased by $98 million.