Child abuse and neglect is a tragedy that should not occur. Each year, some 15,000 incidents of abuse and neglect involving over 20,000 children are reported in the four Missouri counties of the St. Louis region. Nearly 1,000 of these incidents are substantiated as abused and another 8,000 are considered at risk and designated for further family services. Read our 2017 fact sheet on child abuse and neglect.
The St. Louis Family and Community Partnership and the St. Louis Area Council on Child Abuse and Neglect each April team up with organizations and individuals across the metro area to raise awareness about child abuse/neglect, and to promote efforts to strengthen families – the best way to prevent abuse/neglect. Child Abuse Prevention Month has been held annually nationally since 1982.
Here’s how you can get involved:
- Post an “Every Child, Every Family. Secure and Safe.” yard sign at your agency, your church or your home. Signs are available from Vision for Children at Risk.
- Share Child Abuse Prevention Month materials, including bookmarks, pins and stickers, also available from Vision for Children at Risk.
- Visit the Vision for Children at Risk Facebook page (visionforchildren) daily in April to see pictures of organizations participating in Child Abuse Prevention Month and read valuable information about child abuse prevention.
- Join in the Healthy Kids Family Resource Fair on Saturday, April 29, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the O’Fallon Park Recreation
Complex YMCA, 4343 West Florissant Ave. More than 30 agencies will have displays on their services. Entertainment for the children will include face painting, crafts, story time and team mascots from the St. Louis Blues and Gateway Grizzlies. Encourage families to attend, or set up a table for your agency. Download the Healthy Kids Family Resource Fair flyer.
- Learn more about how to spot the signs of child abuse and neglect from this U.S. Children’s Bureau booklet, What Is Child Abuse and Neglect? Recognizing the Signs and Symptoms.
To order yard signs, pins, stickers or bookmarks, or to request a table for your agency at the April 29 Healthy Kids Family Resource Fair, contact Ruth Ehresman, 314-534-6015, firstname.lastname@example.org. Download our 2017 Child Abuse Prevention Month fact sheet with current data on child abuse and neglect in the St. Louis area.
Register your agency to exhibit at the Healthy Kids Family Resource Fair on April 29. Return the Healthy Kids Day Vendor Registration by April 1, 2017.
- 2017 fact sheet on child abuse and neglect in metropolitan St. Louis plus data on the lifetime impact of child abuse
- Vision for Children at Risk Fundamental Needs data and background on child abuse and neglect
- U.S. Dept. of Health & Human Services Child Abuse Prevention Month website
- Missouri Children’s Division 2015 Child Abuse and Neglect Annual Report
- Illinois Dept. of Children & Family Services Annual Statistical Report – Child Abuse & Neglect